Thanks to a loyal reader Kellye King for this Meatless Monday recipe! To reward Kellye for her loyalty she will receive this 16 oz recycled and recycable travel mug.
Remember all it takes to win is to subscribe, it’s that easy.
Stay tuned for exciting new giveaways in 2012.
Black Bean-Quinoa Salad with Basil-Lemon Dressing
Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain. Edamame makes a tasty substitute for lima beans in this recipe. For an attractive presentation, serve the salad on a bed of baby greens or spinach.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 4 cups chopped tomato (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat.
- Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté tofu 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, basil, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Stir in quinoa.
- Cook lima beans according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool completely. Add the lima beans, tofu, chopped tomato, green onions, chopped carrot, and black beans to quinoa mixture; stir gently to combine. Store, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Source: My Recipes.com