It has been said that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure….well this article is a perfect example. When you get a new ________________ (fill-in-the-blank) it usually comes with a silica gel packet. This unsuspecting packet of tiny beads is usually just thrown away, mainly because the packet says “THROW AWAY” but there are uses for these tiny little beads.
Silica gel is a desiccant, a moisture absorber which keeps our purchases from spoiling or molding due to humidity. The gel is nontoxic unless it is mixed with certain chemicals (at that point it must be disposed as hazardous waste). Instead of throwing these packets away try using the silica gel in your home…….
- Store silica packets in camera bags and with film to absorb moisture, or in the backs of photo frames to protect photos against humidity.
- To make a natural air freshener, open the packets and soak the beads with essential oils and place them in a bag or bowl.
- Need to protect documents? Try storing them with silica gel packets.
- Place gel packets in your tool box to prevent rusting.
- Protect your silver from tarnishing by storing your jewelry with silica gel.
- Use the gel to dry flowers or place with seeds to keep them dry until you’re ready to plant.
- Rather than mothballs, store your next season’s clothes, shoes and handbags with silica packets to preserve the fabric. This also works with luggage!
- Place packets on the dashboard of your car to help maintain a clear windshield!
Since the silica gel can absorb up to 40% of its own weight, it can offer some serious moisture protection. We’d like to hear from people who have tried some of these tips…..how did it work for you?