Welcome to another Meatless Monday! I have actually been looking forward to this all week. Today I plan to wing my meals. I had my traditional cold weather breakfast of Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal for breakfast, but lunch and dinner will be a toss up. Maybe a nice salad or veggie lasagna for lunch and a bowl of cereal for dinner? Why I eat cereal for dinner is another post in itself !
I love store-bought veggie lasagna but would love to make it myself. I found this recipe that I would like to try:
Cheesy Veggie Lasagna
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot add broccoli, carrots, onions, bell peppers, zucchini and garlic. Saute for 7 minutes; set aside.
- Place flour in a medium saucepan and gradually whisk in milk until well blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Reserve 1/2 cup spinach mixture. In a small bowl combine cottage and ricotta cheeses; stir well.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of spinach mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan. Layer noodles, ricotta mixture, vegetables, spinach mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese, ending with noodles. Top with reserved spinach mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
I think I would also add basil, oregano and tomatoes, after all a recipe is not your own until you jazz it up a little, right?
I have had a lot of positive feedback about Meatless Mondays and some questions. One question came from a very particular (picky) eater that I know. She asked if she could have seafood (mainly fish) and still consider it Meatless Monday.
As for myself I plan to only eat veggies but if eating fish is the difference between someone participating and not doing anything at all…I say eat fish. What do you think? Please weigh-in with your opinion. Eating seafood on Meatless Mondays, is it ok?
Recipes source: All Recipes.com